The deviled eggs are often called as the egg mimosa that is usually consumed during certain festive events or for desserts. The eggs are usually cut in halves and then filled with the combination of the yolk with other ingredients. You can serve it as appetizer or side dish. You can also serve it for party food. The eggs are better served cold, although you are welcome to serve it warm or hot. It is very popular and likeable because of its nice tasty and flavor.
The existence of deviled eggs has gone back to the time of ancient Rome. It seems that people during those times also enjoyed this tasty food for their main meal. The history why the eggs got its unique name is unknown but it is believed because of its spicy taste. During the 18th and 19th century, the term deviled was used because the eggs were using spicy ingredients in the cooking. Nowadays, including the wasabi, Jalapeno pepper, hot sauce, horseradish, sardines, or spinach into the food is possible, although some of the ingredients aren’t spicy at all. The name somehow stuck and people tend to like its catchy sound. In the Midwestern and Southern part of America, however, the eggs are often called as the dressed or salad eggs, especially when they are served during church events or activities. It seems that the people there try to avoid the usage of deviled term.
Nevertheless, lots of people still like making the deviled eggs into their daily cooking and during special events or parties. You can also be creative by adding more ingredients that would enhance the flavor – it is basically up to you.
Making the deviled eggs isn’t complicated or difficult at all, as long as you pay attention to the proper preparation and the cooking steps. It takes no more than 30 minutes. You will need:
- A dozen of eggs
- Paprika, pepper, and salt
- Dijon mustard (2 teaspoons)
- One third cup of mayo
- A quarter teaspoon of Tabasco
- A tablespoon of minced shallot or onion
The steps are:
- Make hard boiled eggs first. Be sure that you cover al the eggs with water and add vinegar to avoid any contamination in case the shell is cracking.
- Add a pinch of salt to add a bit of taste
- When it is done, remove the pan and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the water and pour cold water. If it cracks during the process, it will make the peeling process easier.
- Peel the eggs and cut the egg lengthwise. Be sure to cut it cleanly and thoroughly.
- Remove the yolk carefully and put it into a mixing bowl.
- Arrange the whites on a plate and set them aside.
- Mash the yolk before adding up onion, mayo, Tabasco, pepper, salt, and mustard. Once everything is thoroughly mixed, spoon the mixture into the egg whites. You can add paprika sprinkle for decoration.
See, making the deviled eggs isn’t difficult at all. If you are interested, you can make one for your family desert or for special event in your house.